St Pancras Old Church has been a site of Christian worship since the 4th century. It is thought that this church is on a site that has offered worship for more than 1700 years. Fragments of Roman material can still be seen here and there in the fabric of the current building. The monuments and reuse of stone chart the history of the church’s development over time. Spanning eight centuries since Fulcherius in the late 12th century the incumbents stretch down to the present day, Fr James Elston becoming the Team Vicar in 2012.
This blog is run on behalf of the many members of the St Pancras Old Church History Project by Dr. Joanne Paul, a Lecturer in History at the New College of the Humanities in London. Originally from Canada, Joanne moved here three years ago for her PhD and quickly found the wonderful and welcoming community at St. Pancras. She loves all sorts of history, but her special interest is in sixteenth-century English political history. To get in touch with her about the blog or St Pancras Old Church, please email SPOCHistoryProject@gmail.com.
The purpose of our blog is not only to share what we have discovered about our church, but also to reach out to others who have stories, memories, photos or research to share with us as we rebuild our 1700 years of history.
Please leave a comment on our posts here or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch.